Sunday, May 15, 2011

Category: Old Age Humiliations

TOTAL AMNESIA
The elderly lady complained to her daughter:
“I am getting on in age and I think I should stop holding these weekly bridge-parties at my house. I prepare sandwiches, cakes, soft drinks and when everybody is gone, I discover that I forgot to serve them.”
“Oh Mum, it would be a foolish to stop something you enjoy so much,” – said the daughter. “I know you look forward to the party all through the week. I‘ll prepare a note and attach it to the fridge door to remind you of the things you must do.”
The system worked fine. When the bridge players next assembled at the old lady’s home and she entered her kitchen, she saw her daughter’s note:
“Serve coffee and cakes.”
The woman followed the instructions. The next time she came to fetch a glass of water, she saw the note again and served her guests again. This scene was repeated for the third and fourth time. There were plenty of cakes and nobody really noticed being served several times, because the bridge partners were as forgetful as their host was.
Just as the guests were leaving, the daughter arrived.
“Did my mother serve you coffee and cakes?” – she asked.
“No,” – replied the friends. “She is becoming a miser in her old age. We were quite hungry, but we did not get anything.”
The daughter entered the apartment and asked her mother:
“Mummy, why didn’t you serve coffee and cakes to your friends?”
“Just imagine,” – answered the lady, – “nobody showed up.”

Add to Technorati Favorites
Custom Search

No comments: